Overview of Non-Immigrant Visas

An Overview of Non-Immigrant Visas

Below is a list of all the various types of non-immigrant visas and brief qualifications of each:

H-1B: Temporary professional workers for a specialty occupation                with at least a 4 year bachelor’s degree. Maximum stay of 6              years, but can lead to permanent residency.

H-2B: Seasonal workers permitted to enter the country for a short              time to fill a need when American labor is unavailable.

H-4: Spouses and children of H-1B and H-2B immigrants are                      permitted to enter the country under an H-4 visa but are not allowed to work.

K-1: For the fiancé[e] of a U.S. citizen where the marriage will occur within 90 days.

K-3: For the spouse of a U.S. citizen while the application for a green card is pending.

L-1A/B: An international company with an existing presence in the United States may transfer a foreign employee to               a local office with one of these visas. The L-1A is for executives, and the L-1B is for individuals with                                 specialized knowledge.  Spouse and children of employee may enter the U.S. on an L-2 but may not work.

O-1: Limited to individuals with extraordinary ability in arts, science, education, business, or athletics, with a record            of great achievement and indisputably at the top of their field.

O-2: Assistants to O-1 visa holders in artistic or athletic events.

O-3: For the spouses and children of an O-1 or O-2 visa holder.

R-1: Religious workers entering the country on a temporary basis

R-2: For spouses and children of those entering the country with an R-1 visa.

TN-1/2: For Canadian (TN-1) and Mexican (TN-2) nationals to work in specific occupations. These visas have strict                     educational requirements. The spouses and dependents of these individuals must apply for TD visas to                       enter the country.

A-1/2/3: For diplomats, government officials, their families and attendants.

B-1: For individuals entering the United States who are briefly visiting for business purposes.

B-2: For individuals briefly visiting the United States for pleasure — also called tourist visas.

C: For travelers passing through the United States who don’t intend to enter the United States.

F-1: For individuals engaged in a full course of study at a U.S. institution — also called student visas. Individuals are             not permitted to work when in the country on this visa. Spouses and children of F-1 visa recipients must apply           for F-2 visas to enter the country.

J-1: For individuals participating in visitor exchange programs. Spouses and children of recipients must apply for J-2          visas to enter the country.

Q-1: Participants in inter

Comments are closed.